Today my friend Jody from A Sip of Southern Sunshine is sharing a simple hot oil treatment DIY
I remember as a little girl watching my mom heat up hot water, drop a little plastic tube inside and then apply it to her hair for 5 minutes. She didn’t wear makeup, didn’t get her hair or her nails done but her regular ritual was a hot oil treatment, and an occasional mask. That was it, just a few minutes for herself and her beauty routine. That still stays with me today and I know how important even a little me time is for moms-to decompress, unwind, and treat yourself. A simple homemade hot oil treatment is one of my favorite ways to pamper myself just like mom did-but I like to make my own using my favorite natural products and essential oils. It’s really easy, would you like to make some yourself? Grab these ingredients and let’s get started!
Make your own hot oil hair treatment
You will need:
- 1 T.Coconut oil
- 1 T. Argan oil
- 5 drops Rosemary essential oil
- 5 drops Lavender essential oil
- Heat coconut oil and argan oil a microwave safe dish in 30 second increments, just until melted.
- Remove from heat and stir in essential oils.
- I chose Rosemary and Lavender not only for the wonderful scent but for their cleansing, shine adding, and hair strengthening qualities.
- Cover your shoulders with a towel to catch the drips.
- Apply immediately to damp hair while oil is still warm, combing through to distribute well.
- Allow mixture to sit on hair for 5 minutes.
- Rinse out and wash with your favorite shampoo, You could also rinse with apple cider vinegar to condition naturally and help wash some of the oil out.
- If your hair still feels too greasy, wash again.