Formula. An essential for many babies. The cost is high, and When WIC runs out, any families are at a loss. Some water the formula down more than they should, to make it last, but that can hurt your baby. Maybe you were in
an emergency or disaster and lost your stock. Did you run out of diapers too? This post on what to do when you run out of diapers can help. Today I am here to give you a little help. You have options.
Find free formula
- Sign up for free formula samples. While these offerings may vary from the brand you are using but in a pinch, it can be handy to have and who knows you may find a more affordable formula that works even better for your baby.
- Call your doctor’s office and local hospital many have samples in the office.
- Combine coupons with sales to get free or close to free formula. Call your formula company and ask for coupons.
- Call your local food bank many stock baby items.
Donated breast milk
- While milk banks focus on milk for preemies, it doesn’t hurt to find out if they have an overstock.
- If you have a sibling or close friend that is nursing ask. Many nursing mothers keep a good stash in the freezer that may very well never get used.
- HumanMilk4HumanBabies is a great place to find donated breast milk.
Make your own formula
If you run out of the formula, you may find yourself in the situation where you need to try and make some on your own. Your not the first mom to be in this spot and you won’t be the last. This recipe uses evaporated milk you can make your own evaporated milk while this is the least healthy option it is the cheapest if things are very tight and will tide baby over for a while in a pinch. Be sure to use this for a limited time and if possible give your baby a vitamin supplement if using this one.
Raw milk baby formula
Goat milk formula
liver based formula
Times get tough but remember mom they will get better you just have to push through till they do.
Build your stockpile with free formula
Work on earning free gift cards.
One way that can help keep you from running out of formula is to build a stockpile. An easy way to do that without going broke is to sign up for a Swagbucks account to earn free Amazon gift cards. Use your free gift cards to “buy” free baby formula for your stockpile or redeem for Walmart or drug store coupons so you can buy formula instore.
When doing your everyday shopping use Ibotta to get rebates on everyday items from milk to your favorite brands. These can be redeemed for digital gift cards to Walmart or paid out to PayPal within minutes to give you a backup formula budget.
Insta gift card is one more easy one you can earn points just doing clicks to pages on your phone while you’re holding a sleeping baby to earn gift cards you can stash for an emergency.
Preparing to feed your baby and worried about the cost?
When you are pregnant it can be easy to get swept up in the costs of having a baby. You may have found this post by searching for ideas in case you end up in this spot. Its never to early to prepare for the worst. Take advantage of the freebies and gift card earning options above to help you build a stockpile for your baby. To save even more you can add formula to your Amazon Baby Registry and take advantage of gift cards and your 20% (for prime members) or 10% (for non-prime members) discount to stock free formula for your baby before they arrive.
Need more help?
Formula is not the only common item people run out of when they have a baby. Babies go through a lot of diapers and families often struggle to diaper their babies. Some families have even resorted to drying and reusing diapers leaving babies with extream rashes. There are several things you can do if you run out of diapers.
Having a baby is expensive and there’s no way around that but you can do a few things to save money when having a baby to help make them more affordable. Free baby samples are a great way to save. We love the FREE Baby Welcome Box from Amazon.
Visit these posts for more help during tough times.
- What to do when you run out of food
- How to make a meal from your pantry
- Learn how to build a stockpile without a lot of money
- Find out how to save money on your electric bill
- Learn how to keep your home safe and warm for less.
- Food basics to save you money
Need more ideas to survive times of struggle? Join us in the new Facebook group. Recession Proof.