Lemongrass is great for repelling mosquitoes and other unwanted insects. This is one reason we use Zote laundry soap bar over the summertime and on camping trips. This homemade lemongrass soap with calendula has all of the skin benefits of the calendula soap with the insect-repelling benefits of Zote allowing me to help keep my family bug bit free while helping to protect their skin from the summer elements.
I decided to use a simple cocoa butter melt and pour soap base for this one. Cocoa butter is one of my favorite skin moisturizers. With all of my odd allergies, I have to be careful with what I put on my skin and this and raw shea butter are both perfect for my skin and cause no issues.
How to make lemongrass soap
What you will need to make lemongrass soap
- 1 lb cocoa butter melt and pour soap base
- 15 drops of calendula essential oil
- 25 drops of lemongrass essential oil
- Soap mold ( I used this blue flower soap mold)
- ¼ cup dried calendula flowers
- Microwave safe 4 cup measuring cup
- Wooden craft stick for stirring
- Yellow mica coloring (optional)
How to make lemongrass soap:
- Cut soap into 1 inch or smaller cubes and put into a glass pyrex measuring cup.
- Place into a microwave-safe measuring cup. Heat in the microwave for 30 seconds, remove and stir, then heat for additional 30-second increments, until fully melted, stirring well between each heating session.
- Add essential oils and stir well.
- Add calendula petals
- Pour soap into the mold cavity, filling each one about ¾ of the way.
- Spray with rubbing alcohol to reduce bubbles.
- Allow soap to set for about 2 hours.
Leave a Reply