I for one love sweet potatoes. We recently found sweet potatoes on sale at Meijer for 25 cents a pound before Thanksgiving and stocked up on a bunch of them to get us through a couple of months of fresh yummy sweet potatoes. Sweet potatoes are great because like regular potatoes I can stock up on them in the late fall when they go on sale left and right and enjoy them through the winter when most produce is extremely high in price. Sweet potatoes can be a bit of a pain to cook though with how long they can take. That is where air fryer sweet potatoes come in.
To make the most of our sweet potatoes I like to serve them sprinkled in cinnamon sugar or with this super easy-to-make homemade cinnamon butter. I also make a great raw honey drizzle with a dash of cinnamon to add a kick of flavor to serve for a sweet yet healthy touch.
Why sweet potatoes are good for you
Sweet potatoes are great for you because they do not spike your blood sugar like regular white potatoes. These potatoes are packed with vitamins that help keep you healthy from the full range of B vitamins and plenty of Vitamin C. Sweet potatoes are high in fiber and vital minerals including iron, calcium, selenium. The biggest advantage sweet potatoes can lay claim to is the high concentration of beta carnitine that gives the sweet potato its vibrant color.
Picking a sweet potato
Sweet potatoes are harder than regular potatoes and take longer to cook. When choosing a sweet potato to make into a baked sweet potato look for a smaller size. Smaller sweet potatoes will bake up faster and more even. Save the large ones for dishes you intend to cut the sweet potatoes before cooking though if you are picking your own sweet potatoes individually you should look for smaller ones all around because they are simply easier to cut.
How to make air fryer baked sweet potatoes
Baked sweet potatoes take up a lot of space because you do not want them touching during the cooking process so the air can spread evenly. For doing more sweet potatoes consider a toaster over style air fryer that can hold more than one tray. For one or two people you can get away with the classic basket style air fryer.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Rub clean potatoes with olive oil and coat with a sprinkle of salt.
- Place potatoes on air fryer rack or in basket leaving space between and without stacking.
- Cook for 50 minutes, using tongs to flip halfway and spray with more oil. Potatoes will be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside when ready to eat.
- Serve with choice of toppings.
How to make air fryer roasted sweet potato
Roasted sweet potatoes make a great side dish. Roasting helps make them soft and tender while enhancing the flavor.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degress.
- Cut your sweet potatoes into one inch chunks and spray with olive oil using an oil sprayer.
- Season as you owuld like. For this I like to use some rosemary and garlic for a savory twist or sprinkle with a bit of sugar and cinnamon that will carmalize as they cook.
- Air fry for about 40 minurtes stiring with tongs half way through.
- Serve hot with your favorite toppings.
How to make air fryer sweet potato fries
Sweet potatoes fries are a great treat that can be used in place of french fries as a snacky side dish for a slightly healthier option. To make these you will want to spray them really well with olive oil in an oil sprayer bottle to get that deep-fried crisp.
- To make them from scratch you will want to boil your cut sweet potato fries for a few minutes to allow the centers to be soft and fluffy while the outside takes on that satisfying crispy crunch.
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees.
- Remove your boiled sweet potato fries and dry them on paper towel or a clean flour sack towl.
- Spray evenly with oil.
- Cook for 35 minutes mixing and annding more oil half way threw.
- Season with a dash of salt and peper, the surve fresh and hot.
Flavor additions for baked Sweet Potatoes
Bake sweet potatoes go well with sweet flavors like fresh homemade whipped cream or homemade sweet cinnamon butter. Sweet potatoes make a great addition to holiday dinners or even a fun snack for the kids.
If you like to add a savory twist a nice blog of homemade butter and a sprinkle of chives or parsley go well with sweet potatoes. I love rosemary and garlic or simple salt and pepper.