Do you have pets at home? If yes, you know how hard it can be to find wallcoverings suitable for your furry friends. On the one hand, you want to adorn your walls with colorful choices to make your house look great. And on the other hand, you can’t help but wonder if the said choices are harmful to your pet. So, with temp wallpaper, you could be on the fence about the whole thing. Should you or should you not try removable wallpaper in a home with pets? We discuss this in detail:
What is Peel and Stick Wallpaper?
As the name suggests, this is a wallpaper that you can peel and stick on your walls. It features a self-adhesive, allowing you to peel the paper off its backing and apply it directly to the surface of your choice. You don’t need a paste to keep the paper in place. This paper also goes by other names, including temporary (temp) wallpaper and removable wallpaper. The working mechanism is the same.
Benefits of Removable Wallpaper
More people have moved away from traditional wallpaper in favor of removable wallpaper in the past decade. And it makes a lot of sense once you consider the benefits of the latter choice, including:
- Ease of installation: If you have ever tried installing traditional wallpaper, you know that it’s not the easiest job. It takes a lot of skill and patience to ensure that the paste sticks in all the right places. And with one wrong move, you end up back in square one, frustrated and with a bare wall. That’s why using temp wallpaper is such a hit. Almost anyone (including kids) can hang this wallpaper. And the lack of paste gives you room to make as many mistakes as you want without damaging the wallpaper. So, most people choose to DIY the wallpaper, saving on labor costs and improving their hands-on skills.
- Variety: If you crave variety and don’t want to go with the same-old options, temp wallpaper is always a good choice. You can have almost anything on your wall, from geometric to plain to botanical removable wallpaper. And that is a plus for homes with pets because it’s always advisable to find something that can keep up with the messes.
- Ease of Removal: Did we mention that you can easily get rid of the wallpaper? All you do is peel it off the wall. And if you would like to use it again in the future, you can add its backing and keep it in storage. This removability allows you to reuse wallpaper instead of buying new designs when you want to decorate your space.
- Durability: While you might not think that wallpaper can last the test of time, it does! Wallpaper can last as many as 15 years, much longer than most paint jobs. So, if you want a solution you can stick to the wall and go about your business, this would be it.
- Ease of Cleaning: Messes are almost always expected in homes with pets. And unfortunately, keeping up with tidying around the house can become a bit of a headache. Wallpaper comes in handy as it is easy to clean – all you do is wipe off the dirt with a wet cloth, and you are good to go. Besides, it also protects the wall from getting stained, which saves you a lot of work. You can even vacuum the wallpaper to keep it clean in some cases.
Have we mentioned that temp wallpaper is a good option for renters? Given that it does not damage the wall or need any unique structures to hold it up, you can install and remove it without voiding your lease. And this allows you to keep changing the wallpaper as you would like.
Is Removable Wallpaper Pet-Friendly?
Wouldn’t it be a shame to realize that you could not stick temp wallpaper in your home because it can harm your pets? It would force you to miss out on the fantastic temp wallpaper benefits outlined above. Luckily, this does not have to be the case. Let’s break down the facts.
Not all temp wallpaper is safe for your pets. Yikes! It turns out that some temp wallpaper manufacturers use PVC or vinyl in their paper. And while this works wonders for durability, it also releases harmful chemicals into the atmosphere. Eventually, these toxins take their toll on your pet’s health. But it’s not just your pet that gets affected by these toxic changes – you and your kids are also in danger. While the wallpaper might look safe, it could wreak havoc on your household. You probably didn’t expect that turn of events. These toxins also damage the environment. Add the fact that such wallpaper is hard to recycle, and you can already see that the case against it is pretty strong.
So, what should you do? The good news is that there are tons of PVC-free wallpaper options in the market. These wallpapers are still durable and available in a wide variety. They still boast the features of temp wallpaper and are guaranteed to offer you good service for a long time. That means you can have your cake and eat it!
How Should You Choose Pet-Friendly Wallpaper?
Now that you know that the most important thing to look for is the material, let’s think about how you can make the proper selection for your home:
- Address Underlying Issues: Have you ever come home to find that your pet has made a mess out of the wall? Pets often do so to assert their territories, play, or even out of boredom. Some even do it because they feel stressed. So, before introducing wallpaper in your home, you should ensure that your pet has an alternative surface to scratch on. Also, if your pet appears stressed, you need to handle that because it will take it out on more than your wallpaper- your seats will also be at risk.
- Choose Smooth Wallpaper: Textured surfaces encourage pets to scratch on the wallpaper. So, stick with smooth or coated options. Go with metallic options, as these will deter cats.
Have fun finding the right wallpaper fit for your home!